Dwyers has always served the needs of the community in terms of their transport requirements as far back as 1885 when founder William Dwyer established his business in Wollongong building 'horse-drawn vehicles'. By the turn of the century William Dwyer's business was reputed to be one of the largest in NSW. The 'horse-less carriage' was also starting to appear and there was a demand for coach builders to build bodies to be fitted to chassis supplied by automobile manufacturers. This resulted in the William Dwyer business expanding into Tempe and Newtown to build bodies for Rugby and Durant automobiles and buses.
Realising the importance of the motor vehicle Peter L. Dwyer joined his father in the business, and by 1933 the direction was clearly automotive sales, service and parts. The need for larger premises necessitated the move to the present location in lower Crown Street, Wollongong. By 1940 the firm was a General Motors dealer selling Chevrolet and Oldsmobile vehicles as well as supplying parts and service. Prior to WWII the next generation of family members joined the firm being brothers Austin and Owen Dwyer. In 1948 the firm was appointed a Holden dealer and grew to become one of the largest dealers in NSW and also a distributor for parts and accessories. The business continued to grow and opened branches in Warrawong and Woonona in the 1960s and established subsidiaries involved in tyre retailing/retreading and industrial supplies.
In the early 1970s current Managing Director and Dealer Principal Peter Dwyer joined the firm and proceeded to grow the business with the acquisition of several franchises, being Isuzu, BMW, Nissan, HSV, Mazda and Suzuki. The firm later divested itself of the branches together with the Nissan and Suzuki franchises, but opened a large and modern truck site and also built a brand new BMW dealership. The firm moves into the 21st century with complete confidence in its ability to continue providing exceptional service to its customers.